seven.

"So? You two wanna tell me what happened last night?"

   I yawn, cracking open my eyes to see my father standing at the door. Oh shit. I nudge JJ who is knocked out at the foot of my bed, the boy immediately waking.

   Dad raises a brow and JJ immediately sits up, "Mr. Mays! Goodmorning!"

   My dad shakes his head as he looks between us, his forehead creasing, "JJ, don't do anything stupid, and you-" he looks at me, "be careful."

   I suck in a breath, "we will dad, I promise."

   He nods before walking away and I turn to JJ, the boy already pulling on his boots. He digs into my closet, throwing me some clothes, "what're you doing? We gotta check on John B."

   Right, I pull on a shirt.

* * *

   When is listening to JJ ever a good idea?

   I'll tell you when, never.

   I tap my foot as I wait anxiously for John B to emerge from the marsh, not dead. It hasn't happened yet.

   "Shit."

   I turn, a police boat approaching us, "you're kidding me."

   I stand to take a seat next to Kiara, the girl flipping her hair over her shoulder, "just act normal," she pulls on a shirt as Shoupe pulls up.

   "Evening officer," Pope smiles.

   Shoupe doesn't respond, just handing me a rope to tie off. I quickly get to work, glancing up every once and a while.

   "How are you kids doing? You know the marsh is closed?"

   Everyone mumbles incoherent no's and I roll my eyes. We really couldn't be anymore obvious.

   "We're conducting a search out here, you know a boat went down? Did you see anything?"

   I stand, shaking my head, "god that's awful, we haven't seen anything."

   Shoupe stares at me, waiting for me to crack.

   I don't.

   "Where's your friend you always hang with? He here?"

   Kiara sighs, "he's working."

   "Hm, Ima check your little boat out."

   Pope steps aside, "of course, hop aboard."

   I watch as Shoupe carefully looks around, my brows creasing as I realize how much time has passed. Finally the officer has had enough and leaves our boat.

   "You kids go on and get out of here."

   I nod, "we will."

   Waiting until he pulls away, I practically launch myself at the edge of the boat, "where is he? He's definitely out of air."

   My friends appear beside me and we all wait anxiously for any sign of John B. After a few moments his head bobs above the water and I breathe in a sigh of relief.

   "Holy shit I thought we lost you," I grin, lending him my hand.

   JJ bombards him with questions, "you find anything?"

   "Did I find anything," John B smirks, tossing him a black duffel bag he apparently found down there. I smile, Kiara heaving in a deep breath, "you scared the shit outta me."

   Pope nods, "you just missed Shoupe, we took care of him though."

   I sit back, simply sitting in my relief for a moment and shutting my eyes. That could've gone very differently had Shoupe decided to overstay his welcome.

   "Hey guys."

   I open my eyes at the sound of Kie's wary voice, "what is it?"

   "Do you recognize that boat?"

   "I've never seen it, what is it doing back here the marsh is closed?"

   "Well let's not stick around and find out."

   Just like that we're up and moving again, I help JJ pull up the anchor, Kiara whispering urgent hurries into our ears. I look up, the boat nearing, "guys don't wait for us, go."

   John B starts up the boat and I stand to finally pull the anchor from the water. I hear a worried "they're following us" as the boat speeds up and I grab JJ for support.

   "John B go faster!"

   "I'm trying-"

   He's cut off by a gunshot.

   I feel JJ pull me to the floor of the boat, "what the-"

   My heart races and Kiara's hand finds my shoulder, "holy shit, holy shit," she whispers to herself. I look up at John B, his emotions hidden by his sunglasses, "go faster please!"

   He doesn't nod but I feel our speed increase.

   They shoot again.

   "Oh my god we're gonna die."

   After a third shot I feel Kie's hand leave my shoulder and she moves away from me. She stands and they shoot. "Kiara!" I hiss. What on earth is she thinking?

   She ignores me and makes her way to the back of the boat with our fishing net, throwing it out into the water. They're boat slows to a stop and we round the corner, losing them.

   I sit up a trace of a smile on my lips, "oh my god."

* * *

   The minute we make it to our dock John B pries open the bag, everyone spouting out theories of what it can possibly be. John B pulls out another bag, and then a container, dumping a compass into his hand.

   Everyone lets out groans of annoyance.

   I narrow my eyes.

   Why did it look familiar? And why did John B look star struck? I shift my eyes to him, "what's wrong John B?"

   He purses his lips and unpurses them, "this is my fathers."