sixty three.

"God," I groan, "I hate the heat. It's not even this hot in the OBX!"

   Kie sighs, "yeah I'm with you. Where did Cleo and Pope even go?"

   "Pope!" JJ swings his machete around like it's a toy.

   I follow his eyes up the hill, Pope and Cleo standing suspiciously close together. Me and Kie exchange glances as JJ continues to be oblivious.

   "You guys find anything?!"

   "Y-Yeah! The path continues up here."

   I nod, "we're coming!"

   Kie grabs my shoulder, "w-wait! I need a break!"

   JJ nods, "alright, let's take five."

   Kie takes this as her cue to collapse to the ground, Cleo grinning as she hands her a bottle of water. I take a few steps away from the group, going to sit down on the grass.

   JJ joins my side after a moment, "how you feeling?"

   "Sunburnt, tired, thirsty."

   He grins, "you're being quite a trooper."

   I smile at him, "I could say the same for you. Not nearly as many complaints as usual."

   "Ha ha," he mocks, "you're funny."

   "Lo sé," I grin.

   "I'm such a lucky man," he leans over, placing a kiss on my lips.

   "Hey guys- Oh my gosh!"

   I turn to see Kie, her eyes wide as she stands with a grinning Cleo. Cleo shakes her head, "well I'll be damned."

   Pope sighs, "I told you guys not to go over here."

   "You knew?!"

   "You didn't?"

   I blush, "alright everyone knows now convo over."

   JJ salutes, "yup, let's keep moving."

   "When did this even happen??"

* * *

   You know that feeling you get in your stomach right before the drop on a rollercoaster? Yeah, that's where I'm at right about now.

   I grip the machete in my hand as I peer through the bushes, Ward going on some monologue about how Big John has gotten everything he's ever wanted.

   "And my daughters, who hate me, yet love you," he shakes his head, "I'm sorry John I don't think I can allow that."

   "What're we gonna do?" Pope asks.

   "Is this ride or die?"

   Cleo nods, "P4L."

   "P4L."

   "P4L."

   JJ chuckles, "frickin' P4L."

   I smile, raising my machete to fighting stance, "P4L."

   "You're supposed to be dead," Ward cockshis gun, "I think I like you better that way."

   JJ lets out a war cry, sprinting from our hiding place and charging towards Ward. We all follow behind him, Ward spinning to face us with his gun.

   "Stay back!"

   "Put the gun down Ward!"

   I take a step in front of JJ, angling my machete to the center of Ward's chest, "drop the gun."

𝗰𝗿𝘂𝗲𝗹 𝘀𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara