fifty five.

"Cat! Can you get the door?"

"I got it," I stand from my seat at the kitchen counter, making my way to the front door. I pull it open expecting Sarah or JJ, but they both have keys so I guess that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, there stands Topper.

He grins at me, "hey Cat."

"Hey Top," I smile.

"How're you doing?" he asks, "since everything yesterday..."

"I'm doing okay, considering."

"Yeah," he nods, "lucky we all made it out of that."

He has no idea. That was cake compared to what we normally do.

"So um, I was wondering if you'd possibly wanna come with us to Mase? A few of us are just going to surf and sun you know."

I think of Wheeze, she used to harass me about going there with her. She said it was the coolest spot on the island and only the popular kids hung out there.

I glance back into the house, "Top..."

When I look back at him he looks conflicted.

I set a hand on his arm, "are you okay-"

Before I can finish my sentence he rushes his lips to mine in a quick kiss, pulling away after a moment and flushing red. He shakes his head, "I'm so sorry I couldn't help it."

I shake my head, a sick feeling entering my stomach, "it's okay, I mean it's not, but it's fine. I just- we're just friends Topper."

He nods and I can see he's hurt, "yeah, of course, I'm sorry."

He takes a step off my porch, "I'll see you later, sorry again."

I wave, "bye Top."

* * *

"Pope!" I step outside, "what shelf do the peanuts go on?"

I look up to see him and Cleo standing across from each other, a tension in the air. I shake the peanut bag in my hand, "everything okay?"

"Pope! Pope!"

JJ practically falls over himself as he rounds the corner, "yo! bombshell. "

He pauses looking between the three of us, "what happened? What's going on? Detecting a real heavy vibe-"

"Pope's quitting school," Cleo sighs.

My eyebrows raise, "what?"

"Being a coroner's kinda weird anyway bro-"

"Shut up wrench dick."

Woah.

"Right, great," JJ nods, "so it's definitely not the time for this. Okay, shit-"

"What is it JJ?"

He turns to me and for some reason I feel guilt creep up my spine. I know it's not my fault Topper kissed me but it still feels wrong.

"So I was down at Guffy's alright, trying to get my job back and I see the catty across the way, and on it is Rafe and Barry," JJ explains

That's not good.

"I sneak over, to hear what they're talking about," he sucks in a breath, "Pope he has the cross..."

I can tell there's more.

JJ averts his eyes, "and he melted it down."

Fuck.

I watch as something snaps in Pope's eyes and he stands, leaning over the railing to the water. Everything is deathly quiet.