one.

I stack my items on the counter, "It's Catalina, and hey Pope." I address him by name, briefly looking him in the eyes before pulling out my cash.

   He begins to ring me up, "how was school?"

   I shrug, "same old, glad it's over."

   He nods, pausing as he gets to my beer can. His grin widens, "wanna show some id?"

   I roll my eyes, "seriously?"

   He shrugs, grabbing the can and placing it behind the counter as he bags my other items. "That'll be five bucks, ur getting a discount," he winks.

   As adorable as Pope is, he can be quite annoying. I slam the money down on the counter, snatching my bag and making for the door.

   "Wait! Talia!"

   I pause, turning over my shoulder, "what now?"

   "If you want a drink, me and my friends are hanging out at the wreck tonight. Celebrating the last day of school you know? You should come," the way he smiles you would think he's an angel on earth.

   I furrow my brows, "why are you inviting me?"

   He grins wider, "you seem cool and like you could use some friends, plus don't think I haven't seen you fucking up the waves before."

   I snort and shake my head, continuing my walk towards the door again. He laughs, "so?" I shrug, pushing the door open, "We'll see!"

   "You're a buzzkill," he shouts after me.

* * *

   "Hey, I'm home dad."

   I kick the door shut behind me, throwing my backpack onto the couch. All the house windows are open letting in summer air and the fans are running. I walk into the kitchen, dad at the counter in his work clothes, his tools spread over the counter.

   He looks up, pulling off his gloves, "So how was the last day of hell?"

   I grin, "it was as good as can be expected."

   He pulls me into a hug, ruffling my hair, "what do you say about hanging out later? Maybe we can go on a walk on the beach after dinner?"

   I nod, "I'm gonna go catch some waves for a few hours though."

  Dad smiles, "that's my girl." He ruffles my hair once more before pushing me away and out of the kitchen.

   I smile, heading up the small two step incline in our home. I make it to the end of the hall where a small ladder/stairway leads me up to my attic converted bedroom.

   This is one perk of life here. My room. I love it. So much.

   I throw myself on the bed and lay there for a few minutes before getting up and changing into a swimsuit. I pull on an old hat over my messy hair, thanks dad, and grab my tote bag containing my book and, god forbid, sunscreen.

   I head back downstairs calling out a goodbye to dad before stepping out onto the porch where my board is. I go to pick it up, noticing a black ball conveniently on top of it.

   "Bear get off," I nudge the black cat, Bear just glaring at me.

   She stretches out almost as if taunting me. Bear is this stray cat that lived under our house before we moved in so we kinda adopted her but now she is the biggest pain in the ass you could imagine.

   She doesn't even catch rats like she's supposed to.

   I roll my eyes and pick up my board anyway, Bear falling to the ground with a hiss. I stick my tongue out at her and start down the path towards the beach from our house.

   Just as I step onto the sand I hear thunder.

   I grin, this is gonna be a good one.

* * *

   "Welcome back! What do you want for dinner babygirl?"

   I squeeze my curls dry, taking note of the new freckles that have taken place on my skin. I stop before passing the kitchen, "I think I'm gonna go out for dinner actually."

   Dad turns to me, raising a brow, "oh really? With who?"

   I shrug, "some people."

   He raises a brow, "friends from school?" he mocks.

   I ignore this question, continuing on my way to my room. Once inside I pull on my hat again, leaving my hair to dry around my shoulders. I pull on some cotton shorts, rolling them a few times before pulling on a loose cut up long sleeve shirt.

   I check my phone as I sit on my floor, dozens of notifications from instagram popping up. It seems everyones posting at this party Sarah hosted. I also have a dm from her.

   Decide if you're coming yet? :)

   I sigh, typing out a quick response. Think I'm gonna stay home, maybe next time though.

   It seems my message is immediately read and the three dots appear and disappear a few times before Sarah's response pops up.

   Kk :(

   I click off my phone at that, moving to pull on my socks and sneakers. I grab my keys and wallet before heading down stairs.

   "I'll be home in a few hours!"

   "Love you, be safe!"

   I flash my dad a smile, mouthing 'I love you' before heading out and grabbing my bike. The Wreck isn't far enough for me to have to drive so why should I waste gas money.

   It takes me about ten minutes to get there, the parking lot abandoned aside from an old van. I park my bike, making my way up to the restaurant. Inside the lights are dim and I can see a few people moving around.

   I slowly push open the door, stepping inside just as something comes flying at me.

   "Duck!"