thirty four.

In all of our excitement we forgot a key part of the plan.

   The part where we actually have to get Ricky agree to break the law.

   "How the hell did he get you on board with this? Seriously Cat?"

   I shrug, "we don't have a lot of options!"

   Ricky scoffs, "you guys are gonna end up in jail and I'm not having any part of it. You've come up with a lot of dumb ideas but this might be the dumbest"

   He stands and marches off into the house, me and JJ following. "I wouldn't be asking if it wasn't important! Besides, you owe me!" JJ reminds.

   "Who ran that load up to Cape Fear when you hemp came in hot?" JJ points a finger to himself, "me, allright?"

   Ricky shakes his head, "I'm sorry about your bud, I really am. But I'm not helping you commit suicide, sorry. Now leave me alone I've gotta focus so if you're cool-"

   JJ nods, "No yeah, I'm cool."

   He's lying.

   The two hug and I wave at Ricky as I turn to follow JJ back through the house. I tug on the back of his shirt, "what're we gonna do?"

   He purses his lips, grabbing keys off the counter, "should've known better. What do I always say? Don't ask for permission-"

   "Ask for forgiveness," I finish.

* * *

   At the beeping of a cop car behind us I immediately duck down, shaking my head at JJ, "I've already been in jail once this year I cannot do that again."

   He nods, "calm down it's fine, go sit in the back."

   I push myself back in the sliver of hallway that leads to the back of the ambulance as the cop pulls up beside us. I hear the officer clear his throat.

   "I hate when it's slow like this. What happened to Ricky? He bang out?" He asks.

   JJ nods, "something like that."

   Just then the radio buzzes on, "one three Eddie, one three Eddie, we got an unknown at KC detention."

   Just like that our plan is put in motion.

   JJ snatches the radio, "ten four I'll be right there, thank you so much, over."

   He turns to the cop, "duty calls, I'll see you later officer. Uh, you have a goodnight though, okay?"

   His poker face is awful.

   "Hold up, I got nothing to do. I'll pace you."

   The cops sirens turn on and he starts in front of us. JJ glances back at me for a moment before turning on the truck, following after the police car.

   I pick at my fingernails, this could go so wrong.

   It isn't long till we're in front of the hospital, JJ pulling his hat on over his head. He grabs my hand, "you've gotta come up here, they search the vehicle."

   I nod, straightening my white shirt as I sit in the passenger seat. Someone approaches the car, shining a flashlight through it. I give them a slight nod.

   He nods in return, "you're good, straight ahead."

   "Thank you officer."

   JJ turns the ambulance around, backing into the loading deck. He sticks his head out the window like a dumbass, "alright load em up!"