forty.

"How long does it take to go two miles and back in a car?"

   I sit on top of the Twinkie with Sarah, no doubt speeding its sinking process with our weight, as we listen to the boys complain.

   Pope groans, "I feel like they're taking a minute. Should I go look for them?"

   John B adjusts his bandanna, "I don't- I don't know, just gimme a second."

   "Damn it! Every time! Why'd we have to send JJ and Kiara, the slowest people on earth!"

   I resist the urge to laugh at Pope's ranting as I watch Sarah and John B exchange longing looks. This is starting to get ridiculous.

   "Okay I think there's something we can do," Pope makes his way back over, "we can find something to leverage the Twinke, and you can drive it out."

   "Let's do driftwood."

   "Driftwood will work."

   The boys handshake and split up.

   I sigh, "might as well go help them."

   I slide down from the roof and drop into the water, making my way over to where John B is searching. He needs some serious girl talk right now.

   "Dude what're you doing?"

   John B looks up, "um, looking for driftwood?"

   "I mean with Sarah! You guys are practically eye fucking."

   He rolls his eyes, "that's gross."

   "Gross and true," I grin.

   He sighs, "it's just- her and Topper."

   I shake my head, "she was using him to make you jealous. The same exact thing you were doing. Now she just lost her dad and she needs you so you need to suck it up and make up with her."

   John B wades deeper into the water, "about that, how're you?"

   I follow him, the water reaching my chest, "fine. He was barely my dad plus he got what he deserved."

   He looks back at me, "Cat. I know more than anyone how bad you wanted to know the truth."

   I shrug, "I was naive, some things are supposed to be mysteries. Hey look at that." I point out a long piece of driftwood floating in the water.

   John B grins, "that'll work."

   He reaches for it, suddenly dropping into the water.

   My eyes widen, "John B?"

   He shoots back up, splashing around and I catch a glimpse of what's attacking him. God why did JJ have to be right.

   I swim over to him, "Sarah! Pope! Help!"

   I wrap my arms around him in an effort to pull him away but in his flailing he drags me under as well. The cold murky water engulfs me and I feel the gator's tail lash at my legs.

   I try to swim up, something holding me down. I try not to scream as the creature latches onto my forearm. John B rips it off and I shoot up, Sarah now next to me. She stabs at the water frantically until the gator releases John B.

   I stumble back into Pope, the boy catching me, "are you okay?"

   "Guys get to the Twinkie!"

   I let Pope drag me away as I watch the gator swim off. He helps me onto the roof, then helping John B up. John B looks at my arm, "Cat? Cat, are you okay?"