- 44 -

Kiara's POV:

Spring break was right around the corner. Pope has been doing a ton of family research about the cross. John B has been talking to Sarah and researching more about the gold and where Ward might have it. JJ was working two jobs to pay all the bills at his house since his dad took off. I was just chilling, not doing much but thinking about the future.

"So what's our plan for the week off?" John B asked the group

Pope and Cleo looked at each other and Pope spoke up, "Cleo and I are going to Charleston to do some more digging on the cross and on Limbrey."

"I'm taking my lovely lady to her vacation house in the Bahamas to see if we can find any clues to where Ward is and where the gold was transported to." John B announced

JJ looked at me and said, "Well as exciting as those adventures sound, I'm going to be here in the wonderful OBX all alone because Kie decided to go on a trip with her parents to fucking Spain."

"Damn, I wish I was going with you.." Sarah smiled at me

JJ was really upset that I was leaving him and I don't blame him at all. He was going to be here all alone while everyone else was doing something fun.

"Want me to ask my parents if you can come?"I asked JJ again

"Hell no, I can't afford a trip to Spain.." He said upset

"J, my parents are kooks..." I started to say but I was cut off by JJ saying, "Absolutely not.."

A few days passed by and I was getting ready to go to the airport. I walked downstairs with my suitcase all packed and my parents were in a rush.

"Kiara, hurry up.." My mom called frantically running around

It suddenly hit me. This was where I told JJ our surf trip would start.

"I can't go with you guys." I said in almost a whisper

"Why not?" My dad asked

"Because I can't leave JJ here alone."

"JJ can come with us."

"No passport." I simply said

"Fine, stay here, Kiara. But you're missing out on a trip of a lifetime.." My mom said upset with my decision

My parents left and I was home alone for ten days. I went inside and packed a cooler full of food, water, and beer. I grabbed my suitcase and put it in my car and drove to John B's house. When I got there, I put everything in the HMS pogue. I then headed to JJ's and knocked on the door.

He came to the door and asked, "Why aren't you on your way to Spain?"

"Because Spain is overrated, especially going with my parents. I'm taking you to our own private island for a week."

JJ smiled and he went and packed a bag. He fit everything in his backpack. We got our surfboards in the boat and off we went.

I drove the whole way and I caught JJ watching me. We arrived at the island and thankfully the water had gone back down since the hurricane. We unloaded everything and JJ started a fire.

The island had been underwater and everything was okay. The hammock was there, with our initials carved into the tree. I went and sat by JJ and I laid my head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arm around me.

"I can't believe you gave up Spain to come to some desserted island with some screw up from the cut"

"Stop reffering to yourself as that, JJ.." I said pissed off

I took a deep breathe and said, "I'm sorry... I just hate it when you think that I see you as some fuck up pogue from the cut. Because you know that isn't how I see you. I pick you over anything and everything, every damn day."

JJ kissed me and when the kiss broke, I spoke, "Besides, I'd rather be on this island with you than in Spain without you."

JJ laughed and said, "You're kinda crazy for saying that."

I laughed as I said, "Well, I'm in love with you, so I must be a little crazy."

I kissed him as we moved to lay in the sand as we continued to makeout. We spent hours on the beach and then we got in the water to cool off.

It was late and we were cuddled up in the hammock with a blanket over us. I loved sleeping in JJ's arms.

I woke up and JJ was surfing. The waves looked incredible. I couldn't help but stare at him. After a few minutes, I saw him coming back to shore.

He dropped his board on the beach and walked over to me. I couldn't stop staring at him. The way his muscles, specifically his abs looked with the water dripping off them.

"Good morning, pogue princess.." He said bending down and kissing me

"I could get used to waking up like this.." I said

JJ made eggs for breakfast over the fire and I put my swimsuit on. We ate and then we went back out in the water. We spent the whole entire day in the water.

We sat down by the fire and started talking about the cross and the gold.

"You know, it feels like we aren't even part of that anymore. It started with the four of us and now it feels like we've been replaced by Sarah and Cleo." I admitted

JJ sighed and he said, "Glad that I'm not the only one thinking about that. We made a deal and even if they find it, we're still part of it."

"Do you really think we have a shot at getting 400 million in gold?"

"I hope so.." He said kissing my head

We continued talking as we watched the sunset. This was a dream. Just being here with JJ was perfect.

JJ's POV:

Kie fell asleep in my arms as we watched shooting stars. This has been the most perfect trip. I still had that ring my dad gave me. I really wanted to give it to Kie but I didn't want it to influence any of her decisions, like college or the surf trip. I just wanted it to be perfect. Meaning, I should probably ask for her father's permission. The thought of that terrified me as he hated me.