five years from now (rc)

This is a part two for first love!!
Very much based on the lyrics to Five Years from Now by Taylor Thomas which is an absolutely amazing song so go listen asap
Hope y'all enjoy this one <3

"Five years from now let me set up the scene,
I'll call you up and you'll say its good to hear from me,"

You hadn't seen Rafe Cameron since senior year of high school. You both went your separate ways for college and it was like you had become strangers. Every summer you were in New York for an internship, which you were thankful for, but you were excited to come home.

You just graduated from university and were going back to obx for the summer to be with your family. Your dad desperately wanted you to come and work for him but you were still on the fence about it. You nervously tapped your thumbs on the steering wheel as you drove through your neighborhood.

You knew it was inevitable that you would see Rafe somewhere or somehow, but you didn't expect it to happen so soon. You pulled into the driveway and grabbed your suitcase before slamming the trunk door down.

As soon as you looked up you were met with those far too familiar blue eyes. He stood frozen in place, lips slightly parted. Your eyes widened as you tightened the grip on your suitcase handle. Rafe looked good, his hair was now parted down the middle, the edges hanging in front of his face.

He didn't think you could get prettier but he was mistaken. Looking at you now he thought his knees might give out. But under it all you were the same fourteen year old girl he fell in love with. He finally shook his head before breaking the silence.

"Uh hey y/n/n, I was just uh helping your dad out with the new grill." He nervously rubbed the back of his neck while letting out a small laugh. Your dad had recently taken up this new hobby but clearly he wasn't mastering it just yet.

You managed to let out a breathy laugh in response, "Let me get that." He rushed forward grabbing the suitcase from your hands. Your lips rose in a small smile as you muttered a thank you. "It's uh good to see you." His eyes shot up to yours, his stomach flopping around with nerves. "It's good to see you too."

"I'll ask if we can meet at the cafe by your house, you'll say you know I don't like coffee, I'll say I thought you might by now, you'll suggest that since we're older let's go out for drinks and I'll make a joke that this is the first time you've paid for me"

Once placing your bag down in your room Rafe's phone started ringing in his pocket. After politely excusing himself for a moment you took a deep breath in while sitting down onto your bed.

"Uh sorry it's my dad I've gotta get to the office." You smiled and waved him off. "It's okay thanks for the help." You patted the suitcase next to you.

"Listen uh can I take you to dinner soon? Just to catch up, if that's okay with you?" You picked at your nails nervously as he spoke. "Oh um yeah just text me."

He smiled and nodded before telling you goodbye. You fell back onto your bed, only home for 10 minutes and your mind was already spinning with thoughts of Rafe Cameron.

"I'll arrive at the bar, you'll be waiting in your car, I'll get out and I'll run to you, straight into your arms"

Your shaky hands opened the car door, looking to your right you could see Rafe sitting in his truck. He seemed to be giving himself some kind of pep talk and your heart melted at the sight.

You slowly approached the car as he stepped out. He was once again rendered speechless seeing you. You both muttered a small hello before embracing.

"I can feel your heart racing but I won't say a thing, cause mine is doing the same just like it did when I was eighteen"