butterflies (rc)

Part 2 for gold rush!!! 🫶🏼🫶🏼🫶🏼

was just coastin', never really goin' anywhere
Caught up in a web
I was gettin' kind of used to stayin' there
And out of the blue
I fell for you

The morning sunlight was pouring into your room. You rolled over in your bed with a smile, knowing it was finally summertime.

Last night after finding Rafe, you went straight to your friend, who gave you a series of amused glances. Summer drove a very tired Rafe back to his house before dropping you off too.

After the conversation on the beach, Rafe was quiet for the rest of the night. Exhaustion clearly taking over, seeing as he could barely stay awake in the car.

He did finally speak to thank you and Summer, an absurd amount of times, for taking him home.

You weren't sure what prompted you to give Rafe the challenge you did but there was no taking it back. You thought there was no way he'd remember the exchange and only hoped you could save yourself the embarrassment.

You reluctantly pulled yourself out of bed to get ready for the day. You decided you'd head down to the beach, maybe text your friends and ask them to join.

After throwing the few things you needed into your tote, you shuffled downstairs. When you hit the bottom step you heard a knock. You furrowed your eyebrows for a moment before figuring it was someone here for your parents.

The last thing you expected was Rafe Cameron at your door. Wearing a baby blue button up with the sleeves rolled to his elbows, some khakis, and holding a bouquet of sunflowers.

Your mouth was opened slightly in shock as your eyes widened. "I believe I was promised a date." He stated matter of factly, that classic smug grin on his face.

Now you're liftin' me up, 'stead of holdin' me down
Stealin' my heart, 'stead of stealin' my crown
Untangled all the strings 'round my wings that were tied
I didn't know him and I didn't know me
Cloud nine was always out of reach
Now I remember what it feels like to fly
You give me butterflies

"I- um, I was just heading to the beach, I'm not really dressed for a date." You let out a nervous laugh, looking down at your tank top and denim shorts.

"How about I join you? You can dress up for the next date." He winked and suddenly your legs felt shaky. You scoffed, "what makes you so sure there'll be a second date?"

You challenged with a smile, crossing your arms over you chest. He simply shrugged while stepping closer to you. "Just a feeling."

You took the flowers from his hand, lifting them up to your nose and taking in the fresh smell. You mumbled out a small thanks, setting them down before exiting the house.

"So... I take it you're not too hungover?" You asked over your shoulder, walking to the passenger side. He chuckled as he jogged in front of you to open your door.

"Oh my head is pounding but nothing I can't handle." You only laughed in response, smiling as he closed your door and rounded the front of the car.

Summer in OBX had always been your favorite season. Sure it got unbearably hot but it was also so beautiful. The green grass, the sound of the ocean, and the light breeze you could always feel.

"So y/n/n," Rafe started, pulling your attention back to him. "What made you change your mind?" He looked at you for a fleeting moment.

You subconsciously picked at your nails while trying to formulate a response. "Honestly, I don't know." He nodded slowly before you continued.