gold rush (rc)

Gleaming
Twinkling
Eyes like sinking ships
On waters so inviting
I almost jump in

Rafe Cameron, where do you even start? Everyone knew him, some hated him and some loved him. He was a complex boy with deeply rooted feelings that he kept locked up.

You'd known him since middle school, when you moved to the Outer Banks. You were somewhere between a kook and a pogue. You weren't filthy rich like most of the figure eight families but your parents still did pretty well.

"y/n! Summer's here!" Your mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs. "Coming!" You replied, slipping on your shoes and grabbing your bag.

You dashed out of your front door and plopped into your best friends car. She had her sun visor pulled down and she carefully applied gloss onto her lips.

She smushed them together before popping them apart, looking towards you with a smile. "So get this..." She starts complaining about her parents, hand shifting the gear to reverse out of the driveway.

Summer, your best friend since you were thirteen years old. Summer's family was extremely wealthy, but she was beyond materialistic things. She had a big heart and cared for things much bigger than herself.

Hard-headed was also a word used often to describe her. "And I said what the fuck mom? Like she really needs another car?" You let out a breathy laugh at her blunt words.

She linked her arm with yours, proceeding to lift her chin high in the air as you walked through the doors. You were at the end of your junior year, everyone was excited not only for the end of classes, but it also meant you were finally seniors.

"Summer! Looking hot as always!" Topper Thorton was leaning his back against the lockers, arms crossed, and a smug smirk on his face. "Oh bite me!" Summer spat back.

Rafe closed his locker and spun around to face the both of you. Your stomach did that stupid flip it seemed to do when he was around, and you pulled your gaze away quickly.

"Hey y/n/n!" Rafe started, trying to be flirtatious. "It's too early for that!" You yelled back, biting down your smile that was threatening to show.

But I don't like a gold rush, gold rush
I don't like anticipating my face in a red flush
I don't like that anyone would die to feel your touch
Everybody wants you
Everybody wonders what it would be like to love you
Walk past, quick brush
I don't like slow motion double vision in rose blush
I don't like that falling feels like flying 'til the bone crush
Everybody wants you
But I don't like a gold rush

Rafe watched as you walked down the hall, practically mesmerized. He always had a thing for you, he'd been trying to take you out since freshman year. Yet you always turned him down.

He was the most sought after guy in the school, meaning girls practically threw themselves at him. You, and well Summer of course, were among the few exceptions.

You refused all of Rafe's advances, he had that player reputation that you despised. You hated how everything seemed to come to him so easily. Even people who don't necessarily like him, envy him.

He was good-looking, athletic, and extremely smart. He was going far in life no doubt. You don't know why he wasted his time with his douchebag friends and constant string of girls. But all the more reason for you to keep your distance.

"Close your mouth you'll catch flies." Topper playfully punched Rafe's shoulder before walking off. Rafe let out a sigh as he slung his backpack over his shoulder, heading to first period.