family line (rc)

Family line by Conan Gray was written for Rafe Cameron and you cannot tell me otherwise😤 I know we don't really know anything about their mom so I left it general!! This is kinda sad girl vibes just fyi lmao love y'all <3

My father never talked a lot
He just took a walk around the block
'Til all his anger took a hold of him
And then he'd hit

It was no secret that Ward was tough on his children, especially his oldest and only son. The expectation to follow in his father's footsteps and work in his business had been instilled in his brain for years now. He could never truly relax around Ward or be completely honest with him.

My mother never cried a lot
She took the punches, but she never fought
'Til she said, "I'm leaving, and I'll take the kids"
So she did

He'll never forget the last time he saw his mother, as she kissed his head before walking out the front door. Not realizing that would be the last time he'd see her blue eyes, or her sweet smile. Rafe loved him mom, and he took the blow really hard when she passed. Of course their mother loved all of her kids but Rafe had a special bond with her. His mom always validated his feelings and stuck up for him no matter what. She was the only one who he felt like truly believed in him.

I say they're just the ones who gave me life
But I truly am my parents' child

He hates when he noticed Ward in himself, and he gets sad when he notices his mother. Growing up he always said he would never be his father, but as he aged he feared he couldn't keep that promise to himself. He would become angry and lash out at anyone in his path. He also felt everything so deeply, he put his heart into everything he did.

Scattered 'cross my family line
I'm so good at telling lies
That came from my mother's side
Told a million to survive
Scattered 'cross my family line

He kept a lot of this from you at first, but when you became serious he realized he would have to tell the truth. He thought that you wouldn't understand and worried you'd get tired of his problems. You constantly reassured him that even if you didn't understand, you'd always listen. Which you did, early in the morning or late at night, Rafe called and you were there. You sometimes reminded him of her, sometimes he thought his mother sent you to him.

God, I have my father's eyes
But my sister's when I cry
I can run, but I can't hide
From my family line

His relationship with his siblings had been complicated since their mother passed. He could see her in Sarah and Wheezie and it made it too difficult for him, it made him angry. You've been able to help with that too, explaining to the girls why it's hard for him. You've basically become a member of their family and they see you as a sister. Not that they are replacing Rafe in anyway, they still love him regardless, but they see you as a lucky edition.

It's hard to put it into words
How the holidays will always hurt
I watch the fathers with their little girls
And wonder what I did to deserve this
How could you hurt a little kid?

You knew that Ward was also grieving, just in a different way, and unfortunately hurting his son in the process. Yet Rafe wanted to prove himself so badly, he needed a parent to believe in him again the way his mom did. Christmas was forever tainted for Rafe, the memories of his mother so strong, a painful reminder she was gone. He watched on as his sisters open their gifts and Ward smiled wide as he snapped pictures, how could they act like everything was fine? Why did Ward never acknowledge Rafe's clear pain? His wounds weren't visible like a scratch or bruise, it was underneath the skin.

I can't forget, I can't forgive you
'Cause now I'm scared that everyone
I love will leave me
Scattered 'cross my family line
I'm so good at telling lies
That came from my mother's side
Told a million to survive

"I am not going anywhere, ever." You cupped Rafe's face in your hands as his wild eyes searched yours, looking for any indication of a lie. But your eyes just glistened as they looked into his, and slowly he was beginning to believe you. You didn't mind it one bit though, reminding him that you loved him no matter what. And that as long as he would have you, you'd be there.

Scattered 'cross my family line
God, I have my father's eyes
But my sister's when I cry
I can run, but I can't hide
From my family line

There were many nights Rafe would crawl through the bedroom window of your childhood home. His eyes were dark and his hair messy. Sometimes no words were exchanged, he would simply rest his head on your chest as you played with his hair. You'd stay awake while he slept, with him holding onto you for dear life.

From my family line
Oh, all that I did to try to undo it
All of my pain and all your excuses
I was a kid but I wasn't clueless
(Someone who loves you wouldn't do this)
All of my past, I tried to erase it
But now I see, would I even change it?
Might share a face and share a last name, but
(We are not the same)

His substance abuse was a difficult time for everyone. You probably deserved better from your boyfriend but you still didn't give up. You wanted Rafe to see all of the good in himself, no matter how tiring it got. Some nights he would cry to you and apologize repeatedly, hating that he couldn't be the man you somehow saw in him. His father continued to turn a blind eye, not bothering to get the boy help.

Scattered 'cross my family line
I'm so good at telling lies
That came from my mother's side
Told a million to survive
Scattered across my family line
God, I have my father's eyes
But my sister's when I cry

Together, you got Rafe the help he needed. Slowly but surely he became whole again. His relationship with you was as strong as it had ever been, and he even grew closer to his sisters. He had his moments of weakness, everyone does. But you taught him that a bad moment doesn't have to mean the rest will be bad too. There will be good and bad, and he finally believed that you would be there for all of it. And he vowed to be there for all of yours too, as long as you'll have him.

I can run, but I can't hide
From my family line
From my family line