my girl (rc)

"My favorite girl!" Rafe yelled with outstretched arms and a big smile on his face. You felt the familiar warm feeling blooming in your chest.

You smiled back and wrapped you arms around his shoulders. Having to stand on your tip toes just to reach his height. Thankfully he always met you halfway, putting a slight bend in his knees.

"Hey Rafe." You smiled into his chest, he smelled like expensive cologne, only the best for the kook kids.

Rafe rested his cheek on the top of your head, your lavender shampoo invading his senses and rendering him immobile for a moment.

The hug lingered a bit, it always did with you two. Far too stupid for your own good. Your friends and Rafe's friends watched on, sharing a knowing look.

You and Rafe had been friends for most of high school, but it never went any farther than that. During senior year Rafe started to realize he liked you more than a friend. He got ten times happier whenever he saw you, and he was more protective over you than anyone else.

There was some shameless flirting, but neither of you made a move. Out of fear that the other wouldn't feel the same.

You both left Kildare to go to UNC, and you were grateful to have your best friend with you. Both of you got involved in greek life, and ironically ended up in sister/brother fraternities.

To everyone, you were Rafe's 'girl'. Well because, that's what he always called you. When asked you would simply brush it off, saying something about how that's what he's always called you and it was nothing more than a friendly nickname.

As you finally let go of his shoulders your friend spoke up. "Thanks again for having us!" Rafe and some of his brothers had invited some people over for a house party. "Of course! Glad ya'll could make it!"

Rafe reached around you, grabbing a drink and handing it to you. You gave him a curt nod in thanks, blush rising on your cheeks when he gave you a quick wink.

You mingled around for a bit longer, before getting roped into a beer pong game. You jumped up and down in excitement, as you made the last cup. "Atta girl!" Rafe yelled, picking you up and spinning you around.

You giggled and buried your face in his neck, smiling big as he set you down gently. The team across from you rolling their eyes at your third win of the night.

Rafe was looking at you as if you were the only person in the world. Everything around him seemed to blur. You could feel the unspoken tension and you finally noticed a glimpse of something in his eye, something that made you think he may feel  the same.

Lightheaded with the buzz of alcohol, your body slowly leaned forward, faces only inches from each other.

"Y/n/n!! Come dance with me!" Your friend yelled, causing you and Rafe pull away from each other. You bit on your bottom lip and he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck.

"I'll uh see you later?" You asked walking backwards. He cleared his throat before speaking. "Yeah- yes, see you.. later."

You gave him a tight lipped smile before turning on your heel. You let out a sigh not realizing you had been holding your breath.

Rafe watched as your frame disappeared into the crowd. Turning around he was met with Topper wearing a smug smile. "That- did she-" Rafe started to mumble out, his jumbled thoughts leaving him speechless.

"Did y/n almost kiss you? Yeah." He took a sip from his beer, one eyebrow raised at his friend. Rafe swallowed deeply, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. He brought the beer up to his lips, draining the rest of the liquid.

He finally felt like his feelings were requited, and now he had to make sure. Your friend could tell something was wrong the second she saw your face. She gave you a questioning look before pulling you towards a corner.

"I think I just tried to kiss Rafe." You confessed in a straightforward tone. Your friends eyes nearly bulged out of her head. "You WHAT?" She started to interrogate you while you gulped down your drink, trying to avoid questions.

"I've only been shipping you two for forever and I just messed it up?! Fuck me." She squealed, hands thrown up in the air exaggeratedly. "What do I do?"

"You go back over there and finish what you started!" She grabbed onto your shoulders, tilting her head down at you. You nodded slowly, trying to ignore the nauseous feeling that was bubbling up.

You decided you needed a few minutes before making such a bold move so you talked with your friends, trying to distract yourself.

After a while Rafe ventured outside. He inhaled deeply through his nostrils, the air filling his lungs. He kicked at some gravel on the ground, biting at his cheek.

He turned his head around at the sound of the door opening. His breath hitching when you emerged from the house. You started walking towards him with a purpose, eyebrows knit together with nerves.

"Hey pretty girl I-" Rafe was cut off as you grabbed his face in your hands, smashing your lips against his. He almost stumbled back at the force but quickly recovered.

Without a thought he dropped the can to the ground and placed his hands firmly on your hips. Kissing you back with even more vigor. He pulled you flush against his body, arms wrapped tightly.

You both finally pulled back, gasping for air. You kept your eyes closed for a moment as you sifted through your feelings. Your lips tingly with the feeling of his.

Once your eyes met his, smiles broke out on both of your faces. "Does this mean you really are my girl now?" He asked with a cocky grin on his face.

You looked up to the sky, pretending to ponder the question. "I guess so." You answered with a shrug of your shoulders. He rolled his eyes jokingly before grabbing your face to kiss you again.

You both smiled into the embrace. You laughed as Rafe kissed around your face while he muttered 'my girl my girl my girl', like a prayer on your lips.