kept me like a secret (rc)

"while I kept you like an oath"

The cool breeze flowed through Rafe's hair, small goosebumps littering his arms. Dozens of beautiful girls and tourons were spread around the beach but his eyes were only on you.

It was a forbidden love, a kook and a pogue. It happened so fast between the two of you and you were falling in love before you knew it.

Neither of you wanted to deal with ridicule from your prospective sides so it became a hidden relationship. As time went on, you wished it didn't have to be.

At first, you had been worried about what your friends would think but you knew they loved you no matter what. That they would be okay with it eventually.

Every time you brought it up though, Rafe immediately shot down the idea of going public. You could never go out on normal dates, or even talk to each other at parties like this one.

That didn't stop Rafe from keeping a close eye on you. Death glaring any boy who even tried to go near you. It got annoying but after every party when you snuck away, he was kissing apologies into your skin and making you forget why you were ever upset.

"Is it just me or is the kook king looking extra hostile tonight?" jj used the neck of his beer bottle to point in the boys direction.

With furrowed brows you looked over you shoulder to find Rafe already looking at you. His blue eyes sent a shiver down your spine. He clenched his jaw before tuning back into his conversation.

"Who knows." You grumbled with a roll of your eyes, focusing back on your friends. The group shared a confused look with each other but quickly dropped it.

"Hey John b you got an extra hoodie?" He nodded and pulled the keys out of his pocket, tossing them to you. You gave him an appreciative smile before making your way towards the Twinkie.

You pulled the door open and leaned your upper body over the seat, grabbing the blue fabric in your hands. A pair of arms snaked around your waist causing you to jump back, trying to squirm out of the grip.

You were face to face with Rafe, who wore a cheeky smile. "Rafe, jesus you scared me." You huffed out, pushing your palms against his chest.

"Woah sorry, you good?" He questioned, stuffing his hands into his pockets. You pulled the sweatshirt up your arms and over your head.

You toyed at the hem with your fingers. "I'm fine." You started to turn away when his hand wrapped around your wrist. "Obviously not sweetheart."

He pulled you flush against his chest and you had to do your best to hold your ground. Trying to ignore to lovey dovey feeling blooming in your chest.

"What was that look earlier?" You huffed out growing annoyed. He titled his head at you, acting like he was clueless.

"You don't want people knowing but then you do stuff like that it- it's not fair." You ran a shaky hand through your hair.

His face dropped a bit at your words, realizing how upset you actually were. "Look I know you're embarrassed of me or whatever-" He quickly shook his head back and forth cutting you off.

"Hey no I am not embarrassed of you." You bit at the inside of your cheek while raising one eyebrow. "Sure as hell feels like it."

After you spoke you pulled away from his grip and went back to your friends, not daring to look back. Rafe ran both hands down his face, pacing back and forth.

He knew it wasn't an ideal situation but hearing you say that struck something in him. You were the smartest, kindest, and most beautiful person he had ever met.

Anybody would be lucky to be in your presence. You thinking he saw you as an embarrassment hurt his heart more than he thought it would.

As you walked back to the group, Kie could immediately sense something was wrong. She gave you a knowing look, the kind that said 'I'm here if you want to talk.'

You sat next to her and squeezed her hand appreciatively. You flowed back into their chatting, laughing as Pope teased jj relentlessly.

Some time had passed as you swallowed the last sip of your drink, tilting your head back to get every drop in your mouth. "Be right back." You announced before walking across the sand.

Rafe watched as you walked closer to him and his friends, who were standing near the keg. He no longer stared at you with jealously or anger, rather sympathy. You kept your head down, not wanting to deal with him right now.

"Damn shame she's a pogue." Topper spoke, pulling Rafe's eyes away from you. His focus moved to his friend, noticing that he was looking at and talking about you. "I mean, damn she's hot." Topper wolf whistled, making your head turn.

Rafe could nearly feel his blood boiling, you felt a pit in your stomach, eyes meeting Rafes. "Anything to say?" You asked your boyfriend, your arms thrown up in frustration.

Toppers face was immediately covered with confused expressions, Kelce too. Rafe felt stuck in his spot as he didn't move a muscle, keeping his eyes on yours.

"The fuck is your problem?" Topper shot back, waiting for Rafe to join in like he expected him to. When no one spoke you simply nodded your head, your lips pressed in a tight line.

You felt the tears threatening to spill so you turned on your heel and started walking the other way. Topper and Kelce were questioning Rafe on what just happened, but he could only watch you.

Before his mind could catch up, his feet were walking him towards you. He gently grabbed your wrist and without hesitation he placed his lips on yours.

One hand held your lower back, dipping you slightly, while the other rested on the back of your head. You quickly melted into him, unable to ever stay mad.

He pulled back breathlessly, his eyes looking between yours as his lips turned up in a grin. His friend and your friends had now gathered around, mouths wide open in shock.

"EVERYBODY!" Rafe started to yell while keeping eye contact with you. "I am helplessly, pathetically, and completely in love with y/n y/l/n. And I don't care who knows!"

You kept your arms on his shoulders as he spoke, smiling up at him. "Wanna get outta here?" Rafe said in a much quieter tone, his words only meant for you.

You nodded quickly and he picked you up, spinning you around as you laughed. He had a goofy smile on his face as he held your hand and walked to his car, neither of you looking back.