sunshine (rc)

TW!!!!!: mentions of attempted SA, please skip this chapter if the topic is difficult for you to read. I love you 🫶🏼

You met Sarah Cameron when you were nine years old. The sweet and smiley blonde complimented your dress, in return you complimented her hair bows. The rest was history.

You had endless sleepovers, staying up way past your bedtime and giggling under the blankets. You played mermaids in the pool until your fingers and toes were pruny. All of the magical things that little girls do.

When the barbie dolls were traded in for cellphones and the plastic makeup became real, a lot of things changed. Still, you entered high school with your arms interlinked, an unspoken promise to stay by each others side.

You did at first, even when you both joined different clubs and took different classes. You still found a way to be together whether it was sitting together at lunch or going to the beach on the weekends.

Now as a sophomore, you barely glanced in each other's direction. You knew it was your fault because you did it to yourself. Still it seemed easier to shut it all out and isolate.

"Hey sunshine!" You blood ran cold hearing the nickname. You stopped your feet, turning your head over your shoulder slightly. When you met Sarah, you met Rafe. The charming and charismatic older brother.

He teased you relentlessly but you were his favorite of Sarah's friends. He felt that the others were too stuck up and bratty. You though, you were sunshine personified. It was the only word he could think to describe your happy demeanor.

Since Rafe used the name at twelve years old, it just stuck. You hadn't heard that name or seen him all summer. When you caught his eye you noticed Sarah grumble something before walking past you with a glare.

Clearly Rafe hadn't been aware of the new situation, his eyebrows furrowed and smile dropped at the action. "Umm is everything okay?" He asked, watching his angry sister saunter away.

"Uh yeah yeah it's fine." You answered barely above a whisper. Before giving him the chance to respond you shuffled past him in the other direction.

"The fuck is going on with you and y/n?" Rafe immediately asked as Sarah jumped into his truck after school. "Oh yes hi Rafe my day was wonderful what about you?!" She asked sarcastically while slumping down in her seat.

He gave his younger sister a pointed glare and waited for her to continue, knowing she would go on her rant sooner or later. "I don't even know. She just- she stopped talking to me." Sarah stared out the window.

"Well did you try calling her?" Sarah scoffed and glared at her brother. "No shit, I tried all summer." She reached across the console and turned the music up, not speaking for the rest of the drive home.

Rafe worked for his dad nearly all summer so he just figured he hadn't seen you due to his busy schedule, he hadn't known you stopped coming over completely. He wasn't sure why there was an aching feeling in his chest.

He first noticed you as more than just his little sister's friend when he was thirteen. Raging hormones, an intense growth spurt, and a crush on little miss sunshine. Your absence was having more of an effect on him than anticipated.

For the rest of the week you avoided just about everyone. Everyday started to feel the same, it all blended together. It was better this way, or that's what you told yourself. Your parents grew concerned, wondering why you hadn't driven off to your friend's house in days.

You just 'weren't feeling well' for a while now. Your mom suggested you go sit on the beach to clear your head, well more so pushed you out the door and forced you to go.