you came, you called (ds)

"Please leave your message after the tone"

You huffed throwing your head back in frustration. "Hi baby it's me, uh- shit sorry I can't keep up with the time change. Just checking in, I hope it's going well. I love you." You smiled as you spoke into the phone, hoping it would even out your shaky voice.

After hanging up you fell backwards onto the couch, letting your phone bounce into the cushion. You grabbed the remote to mindlessly scroll through shows, needing a distraction from your own mind.

Drew was a busy man, you knew this when you were still just friends and not dating. You respected it so much, he was amazing at what he does and you were so happy to see him thrive. Doesn't mean it's easy when he's gone.

You'd been especially struggling lately. Your job kept you knee deep in work, and when you were home, your own mind was attacking you with unlikely scenarios. Leaving you to overthink every little thing.

You had settled on a movie when your phone began to ring. You scrambled and pressed the green button, hurriedly bringing the phone to your ear. "Hello?"

"Hi baby I'm so sorry I missed your call! I was going over some lines and didn't even hear it." You could hear him shuffling papers around on the other line. "It's okay, how are you?" You felt calmer just talking to him.

"Great! It's busy but I'm absolutely loving this place, I'm totally bringing you here at some point." You bit back a smile. "How are you?" He then asked, causing you to freeze up. "I'm uh- yeah I'm good."

There was a moment of silence and you could hear him halting his movements. "Are you sure?" You felt the tears welling up in your eyes, and you tried to speak but couldn't get any words past the lump in your throat.

"Baby, what's wrong?" His sweet voice then opened the flood gates. You let the tears fall freely and your voice shook. "I'm sorry I'm just feeling crappy lately and I miss you."

"I miss you too y/n/n, so much. Don't ever apologize for how you're feeling." You nodded and hummed in agreement. "I just don't want to seem helpless but that's how I feel." You huffed out a pathetic laugh.

"Hey no, you are so strong. Everyone needs a little help sometimes." He grabbed his phone and switched ears, starting to pace in his trailer. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"S'okay, you probably have to get back to it." He quickly pulled the phone back to check the time, screw it if he was a little late. "I always have time for you."

You smiled at this, starting to talk about what's been plaguing your mind. You were always amazed at how Drew always knew just what to say. He gave the best advice and made it impossible to disagree.

He listened intently as you talked for nearly twenty minutes straight. Once you got everything out you felt the imaginary weight lift from your shoulders. "I wish I could be with you." You smiled, "me too."

You reluctantly hung up and dragged your feet towards the bedroom. The stress had worn you out, and you easily felt yourself slipping into a deep sleep.

When morning came, several sounds caused you to wake. In your confusion it took you a moment to register the sounds. You furrowed your brows and sat up, rubbing at your tired eyes.

When your eyelids finally opened you gasped. There your boyfriend was, throwing down his duffel bag. You stared at him, thinking maybe you were just dreaming. "Drew?" You threw the covers back and raised yourself onto your knees.

"Hi." He said with a big smile and open arms stepping towards you. You threw yourself at him, causing him to laugh and stumble just a bit. You squeezed him probably a bit too hard, but you hadn't felt this happy in weeks.

He rubbed your back, letting you hug him as long as you needed. You grabbed his face in your hands, looking at his face as if he might disappear into thin air and you would need to memorize every freckle. He pouted his lips at you for a kiss which you happily provided.

You wrapped your arms around his neck once again, burying your face in the crook of his neck. "You came." You whispered into his skin, taking in his scent. "You called." He responded, squeezing you a bit tighter.